Monty Halls, a BBC host and adventurer, has the definitive test of grit: See what happens when people are denied their next seven meals. Hunger will transform us all into gritty, foraging survivalists. But ultimately his vision of survival isn’t quite Mad Max or even Bear Grylls. When voluntarily stranding himself on a remote island in Scotland, the rugged individualist in him succumbed to the strength of the community. After all, it was their hard earned knowledge and culture that helped them survive the rugged environment and it would be foolhardy to ignore this.
- Wherever you go, it’s best to learn from the locals.
- We’re seven meals away from a savage. I.e., all inherently capable of grit.
- We all need to go slay dragons now and then.
- “I can’t do this” is sometimes a brave decision.
- Unfulfilled potential is the biggest crime against self.
Searchable Terms: writers, broadcasters, BBC, expeditions, Scotland, remote island, grit, success, Lost Worlds, limits, failure
Resources/Mentions: Monty Halls https://www.montyhalls.co.uk/
*This is a sampling of our Spartan Up! podcast episodes. For the most recent episodes, and audio episodes, please visit www.spartanuppodcast.com