30 minutes, 11 servings, 64 calories per serving*, gluten-free, vegan.
- 13.5 fluid ounces coconut milk from a can, light version
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon vegetable broth powder, organic/all natural
- 2 tablespoons potato flour
- 22 fresh asparagus spears
- 11 tall collard green leaves
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup of vegan cheese (I suggest, Daiya brand, coconut and tapioca based)
- Originally this recipe was made with ham, but since we like to create vegan recipes, I used collard leaves to simulate the ham and the smoked paprika to give this little smoked meat taste.
- Steam the asparagus 5-7 minutes, then roll them in the smoked paprika, set aside
- Steam all the collard leaves for 1-2 minutes, until they get soft, but not too fragile.
- Heat up a sauce pan, and roast the onion and garlic alone with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Add the coconut milk, Dijon, and the vegetable broth powder. Let it simmer for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat and add the potato flour. Keep stirring for 1 minute, remove from heat.
- Lay flat each steamed collard leaf and place 2 spiced asparagus in the middle of each leaves, roll tight. Repeat this operation 11 times.
- Use a glass pan that goes into the oven and lay the rolls side by side, pour the béchamel sauce on top and spread the vegan cheese at the end.
- Bake 15 minutes at 375F.
*These are rough estimates of nutrition made with computer programs. We are cooks, not scientists. These numbers are for your reference.